- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- ½ lb (250 g) fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (398 mL) can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) pitted black olives, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) basil
- 1 cup (250 mL) sour cream
- ½ cup (125 mL) grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup (50 mL) dry bread crumbs
In a large pot of water, bring 4 cups (1L) water to a boil. Stir in barley; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter; sauté garlic, onion and mushrooms until onion is soft and liquid has evaporated about 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine cooked onion mixture with cooked barley, canned tomatoes, olives, herbs, sour cream, parmesan cheese and half the cheddar or mozzarella cheese. Spoon into an 8 cup (2 L) casserole dish. Place sliced tomatoes around the edge of the dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bread crumbs. Bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 40 minutes or until browned.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 389; Protein: 14 g; Carbohydrate: 49 g; Fibre: 9 g; Sugars: 5 g; Fat: 16 g; Saturated Fat: 9 g; Trans Fat: 0.1 g; Cholesterol: 47 mg; Sodium: 382 mg; Potassium: 358 mg