Olé! Paprika and parsley, two seasonings often found in Spanish foods, add flavour and colour to this side dish, as do the vegetables. Cut the onion, carrot and green pepper into small pieces so they will cook along with the barley.
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced carrot
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) diced sweet pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) pearl or pot barley
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) lower salt chicken broth
- 1/2 28-oz (796 mL) can low-sodium diced tomatoes (about 1 1/2 cups/400 mL)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped fresh parsley
In a large saucepan, combine onion, carrot, green pepper, garlic, barley, broth, tomatoes, paprika and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until barley and vegetables are cooked, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
Makes 4 servings (1 cup/250 mL each).
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 242; Protein: 9 g; Carbohydrate: 50 g; Fibre: 10 g; Sugars: 6 g; Fat: 1 g; Saturated Fat: 0.5 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 3 mg; Sodium: 261 mg; Potassium: 535 mg
Hiya, This is a fantastic recipe, thank you for the detailed recipe for the brilliant write up.