- 2 cups (500 mL) whole barley flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¾ cup (175 mL) butter or margarine
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (125 mL) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) melted butter or margarine
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) brown sugar
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) raisins
In a large bowl, mix flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine eggs and milk and add to dry ingredients, mixing until a nice dough forms.
On a lightly floured board, press and roll dough into a 12 x 18-inch (30 x 45 cm) rectangle. Brush with melted butter or margarine and sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins. Roll up dough into a tube shape and slice into 12 sections. Place slices into greased medium muffin cups. Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Drizzle with icing.
Makes 12 swirls.
- 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) milk or water
Mix icing sugar with milk or water to make a smooth runny glaze.
Nutritional Information (per swirl): Calories: 334; Protein: 3 g; Carbohydrate: 47 g; Fibre: 3 g; Sugars: 25 g; Fat: 17 g; Saturated Fat: 9 g; Trans Fat: 0.5 g; Cholesterol: 68 mg; Sodium: 326 mg; Potassium: 79 mg