- 1 cup (250 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 1 (284 mL) can low salt chicken broth
- 1 ¼ cups (300 mL) water
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) canola oil
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp (2 mL) chili powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cumin
- 1 (341 mL) can kernel corn, drained
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced
- ¼ cup (50 mL) minced fresh parsley or cilantro
In a medium saucepan, combine barley, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook for 40 minutes. Cool and then turn into a large bowl.
In a small bowl, combine canola oil, vinegar, garlic, chili powder and cumin. Pour over barley and toss well. Stir in corn, tomatoes, chopped green pepper and sliced green onions. Garnish with minced parsley or cilantro. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 204; Protein: 4 g; Carbohydrate: 27 g; Fibre: 5 g; Sugars: 3 g; Fat: 10 g; Saturated Fat: 1 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 73 mg; Potassium: 294 mg