- 2 cups (500 mL) whole barley flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) butter or margarine
- ¾ cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) chocolate chips
In a medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, cream butter and gradually add sugars. Beat in vanilla, then beat in eggs. Gradually stir flour mixture into egg mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 9 to 11 minutes or until centres are set but still soft. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes and then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes about 3 dozen (36) cookies.
Nutritional Information (per cookie): Calories: 133; Protein: 1 g; Carbohydrate: 16 g; Fibre: 1 g; Sugars: 11 g; Fat: 8 g; Saturated Fat: 4.5 g; Trans Fat: 0.2 g; Cholesterol: 24 mg; Sodium: 118 mg; Potassium: 32 mg