These easy squares, mixed in one saucepan, make a mouthwatering treat.
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter or margarine
- 1 cup (250 mL) lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) vanilla
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) whole barley flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) shredded coconut
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease an 8 x 8 inch (20 cm) baking pan.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter or margarine. Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar, egg, and vanilla. Blend in flour, baking powder, salt, nuts, and coconut. Spread mixture into baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until set in centre but still soft. Cool in pan on wire rack and cut into bars.
Makes about 24 bars.
Nutritional Information (per bar): Calories: 80; Protein: 1 g; Carbohydrate: 12 g; Fibre: 1 g; Sugars: 9 g; Fat: 4 g; Saturated Fat: 1.5 g; Trans Fat: 0.1 g; Cholesterol: 13 mg; Sodium: 65 mg; Potassium: 26 mg