- ½ lb (250 g) lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup (125 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 2 (900 mL) cartons no salt added beef broth
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 2 large tomatoes
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 (284 mL) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper or to taste
- Grated cheddar cheese (optional)
In a large pot or Dutch oven, brown ground beef; add onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes. Drain fat. Add barley and beef broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, chop broccoli, tomatoes, celery and zucchini into bite-sized pieces; add to barley mixture along with mushrooms and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with cheddar cheese, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 230; Protein: 18 g; Carbohydrate: 27 g; Fibre: 6 g; Sugars: 7 g; Fat: 6 g; Saturated Fat: 2 g; Trans Fat: 0.4 g; Cholesterol: 34 mg; Sodium: 413 mg; Potassium: 727 mg