- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 2 mild or hot Italian sausages
- 5 celery stalks, including leaves
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dried green lentils
- 8 cups (2 L) low salt chicken broth (2 (900 mL) cartons) or water
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
In a large saucepan, heat oil. Squeeze sausage out of its casing into the saucepan and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink. Chop the celery, including leaves, and add to sausage. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir in barley, lentils and broth or water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, until barley and lentils are tender. Season with pepper to taste.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 171; Protein: 14 g; Carbohydrate: 17 g; Fibre: 4 g; Sugars: 3 g; Fat: 6 g; Saturated Fat: 1 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 23 mg; Sodium: 395 mg; Potassium: 204 mg