- 1 lb (500 g) hot or mild Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut bite sized
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 1 (796 mL) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (284 mL) can low salt chicken broth
- 1 ¼ cups (300 mL) water
- 8 oz (250 g) cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped parsley
Cook sausage and chicken in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat until no longer pink (6 to 8 minutes). If necessary, drain fat from the pan. Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and cook until soft. Add garlic, oregano and chili powder; cook one minute. Stir in barley, tomatoes, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Add shrimp and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in parsley.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 373.75; Protein: 20.90 g; Carbohydrate: 25.82 g; Fat: 20.86 g; Saturated Fat: 7.42 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Sugars: 3.18 g; Cholesterol: 105.46 mg; Fibre: 5.09 g; Sodium: 764.88 mg; Potassium: 13.56 mg